Go back
HK$ 0 0

No products

Sign in
Menu
HK$ 0
0

No products

Elands Rivier Pinot Noir 2015

JH Meyer Wines
Elands Rivier Pinot Noir

We love this because...

It's a savoury, rich red wine that reflects the tough, cool mountainous conditions it was grown in. There’s lots of tension here with bright, crunchy red fruit, spices, pepper and firm tannins that will allow the Elands Rivier to age really well. Another great wine that showcases South Africa’s capacity to make great Pinot Noir.

Read more

We love this because...

It's a savoury, rich red wine that reflects the tough, cool mountainous conditions it was grown in. There’s lots of tension here with bright, crunchy red fruit, spices, pepper and firm tannins that will allow the Elands Rivier to age really well. Another great wine that showcases South Africa’s capacity to make great Pinot Noir.

HK$ 300
Home > Our wines > Red wines > Elands Rivier Pinot Noir

Flavour profile

Complexity (C): 80
Acidity (A): 80
Body (B): 40
Tannin (T): 40
Fruit (F): 20

Tasting notes

Raspberry Soil Strawberry Tobacco

The story

Wine type

Intense, structured red.

100% Pinot Noir.

Aged 11 months in old oak.

Region

Elandskloof.

South Africa.

Bottle alcohol content

75cl

12.5%

The wine

For this Pinot Noir Stompie uses a single vineyard high up in the Elandskloof valley, which is located between Franschhoek and Villiersdorp – from personal experience I can vouch just how steep and remote this area can feel but the mountain passes make for spectacular driving. The vineyard in this case was planted in 2008 and is located at 760m with a south-easterly aspect and sandstone, clay and shale soils. The viticulture here uses dry-farming (no irrigation) and since 2013 has been organic, harvest is undertaken by hand, first thing in the morning to pick the grapes at their coolest and using small 15kg boxes to avoid compression and damage.

In the winery, Stompie uses the same methodology as for his other Pinot Noirs, with 70% of the grapes going undergoing carbonic maceration and the other 30% being fermented traditionally and as whole clusters. Only natural yeasts are used and the wine undergoes an extended maceration of 22 days after ferment before being pressed and aged in old oak for 11 months. The Elands Rivier has plenty of fruit to ensure it is approachable now but will clearly age well for at least 3-5 years.

The producer

Johan ‘Stompie’ Meyer has rightly received recognition as one of the most exciting...

Learn more about them

Be the first one to review this wine!

Review a wine

Review a wine

You are reviewing as
Rating*:
Review*:
Select a mood*:

Earn 20% off with
every purchase.

Where are the special offers and case discounts you ask? 
 
Well here at Bottle Shock we like to do things a little bit differently - we simply offer you a 20% rebate on all orders over $800.

Place your order today and then - BOOM -  20% back which you decide how and when to use - it's a reward that works around you.

That's it. I'm convinced